Dive into enchantment with our Mermaid Cake recipe. Easier to make than you think, this stunning dessert brings ocean magic to your table.
Dive into a world of enchantment and imagination with this captivating Mermaid Cake recipe. Perfect for birthdays or any special occasion, this whimsical cake transports you to an underwater realm of beauty and magic. From the shimmering scales to the cascading waves, every element of this cake is designed to bring joy and wonder to your festivities. Get ready to create a masterpiece that will leave everyone in awe. Let’s embark on a baking adventure and craft a Mermaid Cake that’s as stunning as it is delicious!
Elevate your celebrations to a new level of enchantment with this mesmerizing Mermaid Cake that captures the magic of the deep blue sea. From the ocean-inspired layers to the shimmering fondant decorations, every aspect of this cake is designed to create a sense of wonder and delight. Whether you’re hosting a birthday party or simply celebrating life’s special moments, this Mermaid Cake promises to be the star of the show. Let your creativity shine as you embark on a baking adventure that brings joy and excitement to your loved ones. Create lasting memories and share the enchantment with a slice of this unforgettable Mermaid Cake that’s truly a work of art!
Best Mermaid Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 2 hours
Baking Time: 25-30 minutes (per cake layer)
Decorating Time: 1-2 hours
Total Time: 4-5 hours
Yield: 1 Mermaid Cake (serves 12-16)
For the Cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- Gel food coloring (blue, green, and purple)
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons whole milk
- Edible mermaid tail topper (optional)
- Edible pearls and sea shells
- Edible shimmer dust or glitter (non-toxic)
- Blue, green, and purple fondant
- Piping gel or water (for adhering fondant)
- Food-safe paintbrush
- Prepare the Cake Layers: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans. In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the Butter and Sugar: In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add Dry Ingredients and Milk: Gradually add the dry flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture in three parts, alternating with the whole milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Mix until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Divide and Color the Batter: Divide the cake batter into three equal parts. Using gel food coloring, color each part with shades of blue, green, and purple to represent the colors of the sea. Stir well to achieve vibrant colors.
- Bake the Cake Layers: Pour each colored batter into separate cake pans. Smooth the tops with a spatula and tap the pans lightly on the counter to remove air bubbles. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake layers cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the Buttercream Frosting: In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened unsalted butter until creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, mixing well after each addition. Add whole milk, one tablespoon at a time, until the frosting reaches a smooth and spreadable consistency.
- Assemble and Decorate the Cake: Place one cake layer on a serving platter. Spread a thin layer of frosting on top. Stack another cake layer on top and repeat the frosting process with all the layers. Frost the entire cake, creating a smooth and even surface.
- Fondant Decorations: Roll out the blue, green, and purple fondant to create waves, seaweed, and other underwater elements. Use a food-safe paintbrush to apply a thin layer of piping gel or water to the back of the fondant pieces. Gently press them onto the cake to adhere.
- Add Mermaid Tail and Accents: If using an edible mermaid tail topper, carefully place it on the cake to create a stunning focal point. Decorate the cake with edible pearls, sea shells, and a sprinkle of non-toxic shimmer dust or glitter for a magical touch.
- Final Touches: Use leftover frosting to add small details or borders around the cake. Personalize the cake with a birthday message or the celebrant’s name.
More Delicious Easy Cake Recipes
We would be very happy if you share your thoughts about our recipe with us using the comment field below.