Welsh Cakes Recipe – a sweet snack from Wales. Welsh cakes are the Welsh version of pancakes, but then again they are somehow quite different. One thing is clear: Welsh Cakes are easy to make and perfect for a Sunday breakfast or afternoon tea.
Why are my Welsh cakes dry?
There are a few possible reasons why your Welsh cakes might be dry. Some possible causes include:
- Overmixing the dough: If you mix the dough for your Welsh cakes too much, it can become tough and dry. Try mixing the dough just until it comes together, and then stop mixing to avoid overworking the dough.
- Using the wrong type of flour: Welsh cakes are traditionally made with a type of flour called self-raising flour, which contains baking powder to help the cakes rise and become light and tender. If you use a different type of flour, such as all-purpose flour, your Welsh cakes may turn out dry and dense.
- Baking the cakes for too long: Welsh cakes should be baked until they are golden brown and cooked through, but if you bake them for too long, they can become dry and overcooked. Make sure to keep an eye on your Welsh cakes while they are baking, and remove them from the oven as soon as they are done.
- Using the wrong amount of butter: Welsh cakes require a small amount of butter to help give them a tender texture. If you use too much butter, the cakes can become greasy, while if you use too little, they can turn out dry. Make sure to follow the recipe carefully and use the correct amount of butter.
- Storing the cakes improperly: If you store your Welsh cakes in a dry or airtight container, they can become dry and hard. To keep your Welsh cakes moist and tender, store them in a covered container or wrap them in plastic wrap or foil to help retain their moisture.
What is the difference between a Welsh cake and a scone?
Welsh cakes and scones are both types of baked goods that are popular in the United Kingdom, and they have some similarities in their ingredients and preparation. However, there are also some key differences between the two.
One of the main differences between Welsh cakes and scones is the type of flour that is used. Welsh cakes are typically made with self-raising flour, which contains baking powder to help the cakes rise and become light and tender. Scones, on the other hand, are typically made with all-purpose flour or a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour, which gives them a denser, more crumbly texture.
Another difference is the shape of the baked goods. Welsh cakes are typically round and about the size of a small plate, while scones are usually shaped into rounds or triangles and are smaller in size.
In terms of flavor and texture, Welsh cakes are often described as being soft and tender, with a slightly sweet and spicy flavor. They are typically served warm, and are often enjoyed with butter, jam, or clotted cream. Scones, on the other hand, are typically drier and crumblier in texture, and are often served with butter, cream, or jam. They can be sweet or savory, depending on the specific recipe and the ingredients that are used.
Overall, while Welsh cakes and scones have some similarities, they are also distinct baked goods that have their own unique characteristics and flavors.
What makes Welsh cakes Welsh?
Welsh cakes, also known as “griddle cakes,” are a traditional baked treat in Wales. They are similar to scones, but they are cooked on a griddle or in a pan rather than baked in an oven. Welsh cakes are typically made with a mixture of flour, butter, sugar, and dried fruit, and they are flavored with spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. They are usually served warm and dusted with sugar.
One of the characteristics that makes Welsh cakes distinct is the use of raisins or currants as a key ingredient. These dried fruit add a sweet, fruity flavor to the cakes and give them a chewy texture. Another important aspect of Welsh cakes is the cooking method. They are cooked on a griddle or in a pan over medium heat, which gives them a slightly crispy, golden-brown exterior.
Welsh cakes have a long history in Wales and are a popular snack or dessert. They are often served with tea or coffee, and they can be enjoyed at any time of day.
What do you eat with Welsh cakes?
Welsh cakes are typically served as a snack or dessert, and they are often enjoyed with tea or coffee. They can be served plain, or they can be topped with butter, jam, or whipped cream. Some people like to sprinkle them with sugar or drizzle them with honey before serving.
Welsh cakes are also sometimes served with a side of clotted cream or ice cream for a more indulgent treat. They can be enjoyed on their own, or they can be paired with other sweet or savory items such as fruit, cheese, or cold cuts.
Welsh cakes are versatile and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. They are a traditional treat in Wales and are enjoyed by people of all ages.
Ingredients for Pear Cake Recipe
Soft Welsh Cakes with raisins – you don’t even need an oven for these delicious pastries!
approx. 100g cold butter, cut into cubes (ideal: salted butter)
220g wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
80g icing sugar
3 tbsp sultanas
1/2 tsp mixed spice
a little milk
Mix the butter and flour in a bowl with your fingers until the mixture becomes crumbly. Caution: do not knead too long, the butter should not get too warm. Add the sugar and sultanas, then add the egg and possibly a little milk and stir with a mixer. Finally, stir in the Mixed Spice.
Roll out on a floured surface (about 5mm thin). Use a glass to cut out round pieces of dough (about 7 cm in diameter).
Rub a griddle or iron pan with butter and heat. Bake the Welsh Cakes for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Remove from the pan or griddle. While they are still warm, sprinkle with sifted. Sprinkle with sifted icing sugar.
More Delicious Easy Cake Recipes
If you want to get delicious daily cake recipe suggestions. You can join our Facebook group called Easy Cake Recipes UK.
We would be very happy if you share your thoughts about our recipe with us using the comment field below.