This Keto Birthday Cake recipe, you can whip up a decadent vegan chocolate cake with fine chocolate cream that will transport you straight to 7th chocolate heaven! See for yourself!
Ingredients for Keto Birthday Cake:
FOR THE BOTTOM:
300 g almond flour
100 g baking cocoa
250 g sugar or Erythritol / Stevia / Monk fruit sweetener / Xylitol / Swerve
3 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
2 tsp instant espresso powder (optional – for a more intense chocolate flavour)
500 ml hot water
150 ml tasteless oil (or coconut oil)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
vegan margarine for the springform pan
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
300 g vegan dark chocolate
250 g vegan cream (preferably vegan cream for whipping)
20 g vegan margarine
50 g icing sugar
TO DECORATE (OPTIONAL):
50 g sliced chocolate
For the vegan chocolate frosting, roughly chop the chocolate. Place in a bowl with the icing sugar. Bring the vegan cream and margarine to the boil in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and pour over the chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted. Place the ganache in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Before using, whip with a hand mixer or the whisk attachment of a food processor until creamy.
For the bases, mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the hot water, oil and vinegar and mix with a whisk or cake spatula until a lump-free batter forms. Do not stir any longer than necessary, otherwise the chocolate cake will be too firm when baked.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two springform tins (ø 20 or 22 cm) with baking paper and grease the edges with vegan margarine. Divide the dough evenly between the two moulds and smooth it down. Bake in the oven on the middle shelf for 20-25 minutes. The chocolate cake is ready when there are hardly any crumbs left on a wooden stick inserted into the centre of the dough when you pull it out.
Remove the bases from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes. Then remove from the tin and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack. This takes about 30-40 minutes.
Finish the cake: Place one of the sponge cake layers, slightly domed side down, on a plate or cake platter. Spread 3-4 tbsp of the whipped ganache evenly on top. Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting, also with the domed side down. Press down lightly.
Evenly frost the vegan chocolate cake with the chocolate ganache. For a smooth surface, dip a knife with a long blade or a cake palette repeatedly in hot water and then smooth the frosting. Store the cake in the fridge. Before serving, optionally decorate with sliced chocolate.
There are several options you can use instead of sugar in keto recipes, depending on the type of sweetener you prefer and the recipe you are making. Some options include:
- Erythritol: This is a type of sugar alcohol that is low in carbs and calories, and has a taste and texture similar to sugar. It can be used as a 1:1 replacement for sugar in many recipes.
- Stevia: This is a plant-based sweetener that is derived from the stevia plant. It is very sweet, so you only need a small amount to sweeten a recipe. It is also calorie-free and does not raise blood sugar levels.
- Monk fruit sweetener: This sweetener is made from the extract of the monk fruit and has a similar taste to sugar. It is calorie-free and does not affect blood sugar levels.
- Xylitol: This is another type of sugar alcohol that is low in carbs and calories, and has a taste and texture similar to sugar. However, it is toxic to dogs, so be cautious if you have pets.
- Swerve: This is a blend of erythritol and oligosaccharides, and has a taste and texture similar to sugar. It can be used as a 1:1 replacement for sugar in many recipes.
When using these sweeteners in keto recipes, it’s important to keep in mind that they may not behave exactly like sugar in the recipe. You may need to adjust the amount you use, or the recipe may turn out slightly differently. It may take some experimentation to find the right balance, but with a little practice, you should be able to find a sweetener that works well for you and your keto recipes.
More Delicious Birthday Cake Recipes
If you want to get delicious daily cake recipe suggestions. You can join our Facebook group called Easy Cake Recipes UK.
We would be very happy if you share your thoughts about our recipe with us using the comment field below.