Indulge in a tangy delight with our gluten-free lemon cake recipe. Zesty flavors, no gluten. Perfect for a guilt-free treat. Bake it now and savor!
How do you keep gluten-free cake moist?
- Choose the Right Flour Blend: Opt for a high-quality gluten-free flour blend. A mix that includes a variety of flours like rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch can mimic the texture of traditional flour. Some blends also include xanthan gum, which helps with binding and moisture retention.
- Add Moist Ingredients: Incorporate ingredients that naturally retain moisture, such as yogurt, applesauce, mashed bananas, or even pumpkin puree. These ingredients can enhance both the texture and moisture content of your cake.
- Oil or Fat: Using a bit more oil or fat than you might in a regular cake can contribute to moisture. Consider options like coconut oil or melted butter for their rich flavors.
- Sugar Syrups: Brushing your cake layers with a simple syrup made from water and sugar after baking can help lock in moisture. Infusing the syrup with flavors like vanilla or citrus can add an extra dimension to the cake.
- Avoid Overmixing: Overmixing can lead to a tough texture in gluten-free cakes. Mix the batter just until everything is combined to prevent excessive air from being incorporated.
- Buttermilk or Vinegar: Adding a small amount of acidic ingredients like buttermilk or vinegar can enhance the tenderness and moistness of the cake.
- Fruit Purees: Fruit purees not only add moisture but also flavor. Choose fruits that complement your cake’s theme, such as apple puree for spice cakes or berry puree for a fruity twist.
- Syrups and Fillings: Layering your cake with moisture-rich fillings like fruit preserves, curds, or ganache can help maintain its moisture over time.
- Storage Techniques: Once your gluten-free cake is baked, store it properly. Seal it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap to prevent air exposure and drying.
- Serve with Care: If you’re not serving the cake immediately, consider assembling and frosting it shortly before serving to keep it as fresh and moist as possible.
Best Gluten-Free Lemon Cake Recipe
For the Cake:
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
For the Lemon Drizzle:
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Step 1: Preparing the Gluten-Free Lemon Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the lemon zest and lemon juice, ensuring a vibrant lemon flavor.
- Gradually add the dry flour mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with Greek yogurt. Mix until the batter is well combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 2: Drizzling the Cake
- While the cake is still slightly warm, use a skewer or fork to poke holes all over the top.
- In a small bowl, mix together the fresh lemon juice and granulated sugar for the lemon drizzle.
- Carefully pour the lemon drizzle mixture over the cake, allowing it to seep into the holes. Let the cake absorb the drizzle completely.
Step 3: Preparing the Glaze
- In a bowl, combine the powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice to create a smooth glaze.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more sugar or lemon juice, if needed, to achieve a thick yet pourable glaze.
Step 4: Glazing the Cake
- Once the cake has cooled and the lemon drizzle has been absorbed, place the cake on a serving plate.
- Gently pour the glaze over the top of the cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides naturally.
Step 5: Serving and Savoring Slice into your gluten-free Lemon Drizzle Cake and relish the zesty explosion of flavors in every bite. This cake is perfect for tea time, special occasions, or whenever you’re in the mood for a tangy and moist treat that suits your dietary preferences.
We would be very happy if you share your thoughts about our recipe with us using the comment field below.